Tuesday, August 10, 2010

HealthCare.gov

In preparation for my med school interviews last fall, I memorized several facts about Obama's health care reform plan. I'm not about to claim that I understood all of what was being discussed, but I wanted to be able to address any interview questions such as, "What do you think of the discussion on health care reform?" In fact, one school asked me, "How would you solve the health care access problems we are facing?" Wow.

Obama's new Affordable Care Act was signed on March 23, 2010. This (government sponsored) website, HealthCare.gov, gives some great information on everything from understanding the new laws, outlining the time line in:
"What's changing and When", and helps you to find insurance options based on your state and specific family situation.

One specific part of the website that caught my eye discussed how this Affordable Care Act addresses the
Health Disparities I witnessed as a Baltimore City School teacher, I see every day as a clinical research assistant, and that will become a priority as I learn to care for the people of East Baltimore as a medical student.

I wanted to cut and paste sentences from the article, but quickly realized that I would end up copying the whole thing. Every point made and change that will take place is important! I tried my best, but you might as well just read the article.

  • "Low-income Americans, racial and ethnic minorities, and other underserved populations often have higher rates of disease, fewer treatment options, and reduced access to care."
  • "...minority communities experience higher rates of illness and death for chronic diseases such as diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, and cancer. Because infant mortality and post-birth complications are also higher in minority and low-income groups, the law includes new funds for home visits for expectant mothers and newborns."
  • "[the act] strengthens cultural competency training for all health care providers."
  • "Health centers serve an estimated one in three low-income people and one in four low-income minority residents. ... health centers to double the number of patients they serve. Combined with investments made by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the new law will support 16,000 new primary care providers."
  • "Women will no longer have to pay higher premiums because of their gender. New funding will be available to collect information on how women and racial and ethnic minorities experience the health care system, leading to improvements that will benefit these groups."

I admit that this article came from a government sponsored website. I also admit that no where did the site explain the actual logistics of HOW this was all happening. For example, we already have a shortage of primary care providers, so how exactly will the law support 16,000 new primary care people? Maybe there will be an incentive to become a primary care physician, such as "we'll pay all of your med school debt if you become a pediatrician."

There are obviously many other parts of the law that change the health care scene for young adults, those with Medicare prescription drug coverage, early retirees, those with pre-existing conditions, and many other groups. Plus a focus on prevention is a huge step forward in my book!

I'm really interested to hear what others (specifically my family and friends) have to say. I do not know enough about health care politics and this is clearly a hot topic to debate.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa!!!! I’m not big on the whole blog thing but yours I actually find interesting. Although, I disagree with almost everything that was passed by the Obama administration, one phrase jumped out at me in your blog: cultural competency. I learned about this in my medical anthropology class. It really opened my eyes as to how health care professionals need to be culturally competent in treating different individuals. I learned that it greatly effects their level of care. I think that in this aspect that is one way we can begin to deal with the health disparity. I am not going to get into all of the other political ramifications I think that this new law will have but I can say that I think that this is one area I can support. Giving health care professionals and patients resources in order to better fade the line between just treating the malady and treating the patient. I am excited for you to start school!

    ReplyDelete