Monday, July 19, 2010

One amazing year

I can confidently say that this past year has been the most amazing year of my life to date. Many of my past experiences really helped to shape this year for me... specifically moving to Baltimore to teach high school biology to the most outstanding kids I've ever met. After two years in the classroom, I realized that instead of differentiating to meet learning needs, I wanted to create the plan to improve each student’s health and well-being. Unmet healthcare needs are unnecessarily hindering students' successes in the classroom and I wanted to address those needs. I applied to medical school. Well, actually I applied to a post-bac pre-med program to take the undergrad classes I needed before applying to med school.... then I applied to med school :)

In the past year I:



Got accepted at my first choice med school







Took an amazing 3 week vacation to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand with my fiance



Became an aunt :)





And most importantly, married my best friend!



Now I'm preparing to meet the challenge of medical school head on and I couldn't be more excited to start! Classes begin in one month and I'm starting to realize that the name of the game is "balance." My highlighters are ready to go, but I'm also excited to be a newlywed, a new aunt, part of a championship kickball team, a progressing cook... the challenge is going to be remaining involved and happy in all of the other wonderful areas of my life. Med school will be part of the next 4 years... but won't take over! At least that's the goal.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa~ you are an amazing individual and this is very inspiring!! Thank you for including me and I look forward to following the blog! Your happiness just overflows to others....that's a wonderful thing!

    All my best....Lynn

    ReplyDelete