Monday, January 3, 2011

Winter Break Highlights and First Day Back

Annual Baltimore Christmas Party(bonus: with family) - Hutchinson Christmas Celebration and making Luminaries - Babysitting Juliana all day - Skiing with Matt at Holiday Valley and getting down the diamond - Family frosting Christmas Cookies - Catching up with the Olean Girls - Babysitting the puppy - "Back-to-School Shopping" with Mom, Bridge and Mals - Christmas Eve and Day with the Family and awesome home cooked meals - Competing for top Wii scores in skateboarding, table tilt and obstacle course - Reading by the fire - 5' x 5' painting purchase in Ellicotville that we can't fit in a car to get back to Baltimore - Staying in with my husband for New Years Eve - Friends and Catch Phrase + Sleepover @ Erin and Rubin's - Rereading the Jan. 2nd email from my future husband - Organizing all first semester notes!

A two week break from school is just what the doctor ordered! I was rested and ready to start learning Immunology at 8am! Then the new terminology started and I felt like I had fallen back into the alphabet soup of metabolism. But I refuse to get the least bit worked up or frustrated. So I spend the afternoon reading the lecture notes for 1 of 3 lectures from today
and pre-reading both of tomorrows lectures. Do I understand how antibodies work? Not yet. Do I know that another word for antibody is immunoglobulin (abbreviated Ig) and that there are 5 classes: IgM, IgG, IgA, IgD, IgE? YES!!!

And I can also tell you that antigens are foreign things (like viruses, bacteria, pollen) that are recognized by antibodies causing a immune response to save the body from whatever problems the antigen might cause.

But the BEST thing I learned today was the CBC: Complete Blood Count. As in
a line from every episode of House like: "We did a CT, MRI, CBC, Chem-7 and chest x-ray. All the tests came back normal. There’s nothing to explain his symptoms." On Christmas Eve my uncle was giving me a hard time about what I had (or had not) learned in my first semester... and I came up blank when he asked what a CBC was. (My standard answer to random health/medicine questions over this break was, "Oh, we're learning that next semester.") Then he rattled off a line just like the one above and said something like, "You should watch House, see, they teach you more on that show!" So I texted him while in class "First day back and we're learning the CBC." I guess I was right about the next semester thing :)

1 comment:

  1. hahaha, I re-read Hastings' first email to me over break too - his was on December 27th. Our one year anniversary is January 12th! He's doing the planning so I have no idea what the celebration will entail, but I'm excited!

    Great to see you in Olean... of course the visit was too short, especailly now that you have a husband and neice to occupy more of your time while at home over the holidays... plus me getting sick... and my grandma.

    Guess that just means you guys have to come down here to visit this summer when you get time off! Hastings can take us white water rafting, we can go hiking, or camping, or go to the Biltmore... and other fun stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete