Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's Fall!

They told me these 4 years will fly by. I won't believe it when I'm finally graduating with my M.D. After only 3 months, I fully realize the truth in that statement. I can't believe we're already into November! I LOVE the fall! While growing up, the fall = a new school year. In Olean, NY September meant leaves changing colors, crisp breezes and back-to-school shopping at the Outlets or in Buffalo with my mom and sisters. (which begs the question: if I'm still starting a new school year in the fall, why no back-to-school shopping with my mom and sisters?!?!)

Anyway... here in Baltimore it doesn't seem like fall until well into November. So here we are! Finally. Last night, while studying for my metabolism exam (read: boring), I made (homemade!) hot chocolate, lit the Yankee candle that smells like apples and put on my favorite slippers. It was awesome!

Shout-Out to Kristen and Kathy for getting me addicted to the homemade hot chocolate they give out at Christmas:


Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix


Ingredients:

1 large can of Nestle Quick Choc. Mix (32 oz?)

1/2 bag confectioners sugar

11 oz container of non-dairy coffee creamer

8-10 qt. box dry milk (Sanalac brand is best)


Combine all ingredients together in LARGE bowl. Blend well.


Much of the reason my life is flying by can be attributed to the pace of the curriculum. Our "blocks" are 5-8 days long. Meaning a new topic, new teachers, new section leaders, and a new style every week or two. Today we had a metabolism exam (a block I wasn't particularly fond of, mostly due to the lack of organization of the faculty... how can posting powerpoint slides be that difficult!?), and tomorrow we start genetics. Then next Friday, a week from tomorrow, we have our genetics test. WOW.

In addition to that science-y curriculum, we are at the climax of our clinical skills curriculum. The day after my Thanksgiving Break I will perform a head-to-toe physical evaluation on a standardized patient. Get ready! To prepare for this we went to the hospital this past Monday to interview an inpatient and do an abbreviated physical exam. This patient has lupus, an autoimmune disease where the body attacks it's own cells and tissues. The patient had severe connective tissue disorders that caused hardening of the skin and bones and kidney failure among other things. He was so wonderful to interview. He was patient, kind, and understanding of our inexperience. When we asked him to let us know if he felt uncomfortable while we were examining him, his quote was, "You're probably more uncomfortable doing this than I am." Check.

2 comments:

  1. Aw... yay for still enjoying the homemade hot chocolate after all these years!! We'll have to get together for a cup when we're both home over Christmas :-) I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the time shared back to school shopping as much as you do! Can't wait to see you over Thanksgiving. You can practice your physical evaluation on the family. love mom

    ReplyDelete